2000 Neon A/C Only Works When Braking

I have a basic 2000 Dodge Neon, with no power windows/doors cruise control, or anything like that. A few weeks ago my A/C began acting up in such a way that while running the air was only cooled when I was applying the brakes. This happened regardless of direction (uphill, downhill, level) and even happened when tapping the brakes while applying gas. Letting off the gas without applying brakes did not make a difference. I took the car to a mechanic who recharged the A/C which was over a pound low, and he also replaced a couple of fuses: The 20A P/Out Fuse/Engine under the hood, and the #7 10A Clutch Fuse in the dash. After this things worked fine for a while.

Yesterday I was driving and the A/C was working fine. I stopped and the car sat for about an hour. When I got back in the same problem was back, with it only cooling when the brake was applied. Later I discovered that the rear defroster also wasn't working, although if I pushed the button for it while braking, it would momentarily light up when I released the brake.

I just checked the fuses and the #7 10A has blown again. Not being much of a car guy myself I was hoping this would all make sense to someone who could point me in the right direction for fixing the problem, and not just the symptom of the blown fuses.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
doughy