2000 Neon fuse blows

New car to us...... The fuse that controls the A/C and rear defroster blew. No problems until the weather cooled and my daughter had to use the defroster. Inserted a new fuse yesterday, and within 10 min or so, it blew again.

Now we have narrowed it I THINK, what might cause this? Or am I destined to take it to a shop and have a lot of diagnostic time?

OR anything else we can look at first?

thanks

Reply to
Shcr

Right sized fuse? Power (full 12 volts) at the grid when turned on? If not, you have a short in the wire to the grid. There is NOTHING that will make a rear defroster grid draw more current than spec. A bad (weak clip) fuse holder will overheat and blow fuses .

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Trace the power wire from the back window to the switch and you will find your problem. assuming you are using the correct fuse. It should be easy to locate, I would guess it would be found around the rear seat area.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

on older neons,ive found pinched loom under rad.support,in center,caused by bottom out in front

Reply to
LOWERLINK

I dont think that would have anything to do with the rear window defroster under the radiator

Reply to
maxpower

I would look for a bare or worn wire lead from the grid probably touching the bodywork close to the rear window. It is possible for the grid to draw more amps depending on the silver mixture applied. OEM parts all have to meet a certain spec in this regard. Aftermarket parts do not have to meet nearly the same standard.

Reply to
blueeyes269

The fuse is a size 10, which is what the fusebox calls for. I'll start checking wires.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Shcr

A 10? My rear defroster uses a 20 amp. Are you sure your looking at the right fuse number on the cover for the fuse box?

Reply to
David

Hmmm, what fuse ARE YOU talking about? give me a number because the fuse that protects the rear defogger is a 40 amp fuse located under the hood in the PDC. If you are referring to fuse number 7 10 amp fuse in the fuse box you may have problems because it protects the circuits If equipped.....

rear window defogger a/c cycling switch passenger power window switch back up lamp switch Park neutral position switch (is this a manual transmission?) Brake shift interlock solennoid Instument cluster

Reply to
maxpower

The 10 amp fuse in under the dash is the one blowing.

A/C equipped Rear Defogger no power windows auto trans

Reply to
Shcr

Disconnect each circuit untill you find the one that isnt blowing the fuse, as I said, more then likely it is the feed wire going to the window grid from the switch to the grid.

Good luck

Reply to
maxpower