2001-2003 Dodge Grand Caravan reliable?

I am looking at purchasing a minivan this summer to replace my aging 1992 Dodge Caravan, which I had good luck with. I was looking at the 2001, 2002,
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan models. I think I can get a good price with low mileage on one of these years. How have these models held out? Any mechanical/tranny issues? From reading reviews it mentions Honda and Toyota are the best buys, but I can get a Dodge somewhat cheaper and with lower mileage. Any opinions appreciated.
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:19:52 +0000, snow wrote:

I've got a 2002 Grand Caravan, purchased as a "program car" in 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. It's now got 36,000 and has been trouble-free. I'm very happy with it and highly recommend these vehicles.
Linux Registered User #327951

caravan sport which I thought was great. I got a great deal, but I work for DC! Only problem was a burnt out bulb in the overhead console.
Anyway my friend works for Honda corporation and the Odyssey has bad trannies! He said they are worse then the old 604's. He is amazed at how the Honda customers put up with it compared to Chrysler. Seems that the more you pay the more crap you put up with! Oh, And he purchased his wife a Chrysler to drive!
David wrote:

TRUE on the Honda transmission.
The motor on the Toyota has a tendency to sludge up and block up its oil return passages.

and better than 90% of all north american driving falls into that category. Change the oil with quality oil every 3 months or 5000KM and you will NEVER have a coking problem on a Toyota

That was on the 97-00 odys, not the more recent ones.

It seems there are better deals on Caravans. I can save several thousand compared to Honda, and if something does go wrong I got the extra cash to fix it. My 1992 Caravan has 150,000 and it has the original tranny and I towed a popup with it across the USA twice. So much for tranny horror stories. I guess I got lucky. I am hoping the 2001-2003 Grand Caravans hold up as good. I think it has to do with how well they are maintained. My 1992 Caravan has the tranny cooler installed, seems to have helped. I definately will install a tranny cooler on 2001-2003 model for extra protection.