2001 Caravan Whines

2001 Caravan - great vehicle - I love it! I bought it for my wife about a year ago. It has developed a symptom that concerns us. It is a low volume whine from the engine compartment. It is high frequency
and it tracks engine RPM - not transmission speeds. Definitely not Power Steering. Oil levels [tranny, engine, power steering fluid] are spot on and no burnt odor. It runs great - getting good mileage. We are taking it in to get it diagnosed - but not being familiar with all the pumps and gadgets under the hood anymore, I was hoping some of you had a thought.
used to be a gear head - now I ask for help.
Is it coming out of the speakers. I just re-read and saw you said coming from the engine compartment, so I'm guessing you've observed this from outside the vehicle as well? Anyway...if it is coming thru the speakers, it could be picking up a whine from the alternator...though I can't say I've heard that in any newer model cars....
Wesley

Probably one of two things, power steering pump or the alternator with the alternator being the most likely of the two.
Denny
Does it only do it when the A/C compressor is on?
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
I have a similiar problem....my 1996 caravan has a high pitched whistle when the car is in drive or reverse. When the brakes are applied, the whistling stops. The transmission was redone just three months ago, and the belts have been looked at. Is this something that needs a mechanic to look at or is it something that can be fixed at home?