2001 Grand Caravan Climate Control diagnosis and code reset

I am having problems with my HVAC system. I know the power and recirc button trick to recalibrate but it is too cold, I think, to get it to perform currently. (I read somewhere that ambient temperature has to be

50ish degrees.)

Are there other button pushing configurations to generate error codes, and if so, does anyone have a list of these error codes and their meanings.

Thanks much

Allen

Reply to
Allen

Allen, What is the problem you are having?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well, it's a long and kinda painful story, but here goes since you asked! My Caravan was struck by lightening and it knocked out the radio (just the AM band, oddly), the back up lights, the ability to control the temperature, the two zone (driver/passenger) feature and the blend doors (defrost, vent, floor)

I was able to diagnose the back up lights. The BCM was the culprit there and I replaced it only to find that my OBD tool wouldn't read codes or clear them like it used to and it added a code about a major and minor exhaust leak as well as O2 sensor faults as soon as I installed the new BCM. I then decided to ask a friend to replace the tiny chip that was at fault for the backup lights in the old unit with the same one from the "new" BCM(the damage to it was quite apparent) and he did so successfully. The backup lights then worked but I retained the new fault codes and was still not able to navigate the OBD system as I used to.

I have taken apart the motors that control the blend doors and they respond well to a 9 volt battery--they all operate both directions depending on the polarity provided. The doors themselves can be manipulated by hand.

When I do the calibration test now (at 25ish degrees) the recirc button merely flashes after the other lights go out. Don't know if that is because it is too cold to do the test or if the flashes are a code (although they are very regular and go on forever...)

There, how's that for too much information?

Thanks,

Allen

Reply to
Allen