2001 grand caravan suspension noise

I have a 2001 grand caravan sport with 59k on it. I bought it used and it developed a clunking sound from the front end when going over any bumps at low speed. It gets louder when the tempature drops. My dealer heard the noise and was unable to locate the problem. They said that all the suspension components were tight and the van was safe to drive. But I have 3 kids and I am very concerened about this sound. It just doesn't sound good and I worry that something is going to give. Anybody experience this out there?

Reply to
riy3rd

Have the sway bar links or stabilizer links been replaced? if not that is probably what the noise is and I would not have that dealer work on my car if they could not determine that was the problem. These 2 parts are a common complaint for what you are describing

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have a 1996 grand caravan with the same front end noise when I go over bumps........I changed the sway bushings, the suspension links, and the struts and the noise is still there. All I am saying is that the noise could be coming from somewhere else, because I changed all the above items with no results [noise still there]

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
pchotspot

I don't know if the problem is exactly the same but I have had a similar one. Try this: with the engine running, hold down on the brake pedal, accelerate slightly (not too much) shift into drive, then reverse and do this two or three times while listening for any type of unusual noise. What I found on mine was that the engine and transaxle mounts were beginning to weaken and was letting the engine rotate too far in the compartment. If it rotates far enough when you are moving it can actually separate a cv axle and cause all kinds of damage (this I know from experience). This might be the answer, good luck...

Reply to
John Casteel

yup yup i have a 1990 grand voyager and i have the same problem in the front on the drivers side it realy does it loud if i go over bumps or when i have to brake hard i have changed everything on the front end and it is still there i wish i could find out what it is too haha i guess wer not all alont on this :(

"riy3rd" wrote: > I have a 2001 grand caravan sport with 59k on it. I bought it > used and > it developed a clunking sound from the front end when going > over any > bumps at low speed. It gets louder when the tempature drops. > My dealer > heard the noise and was unable to locate the problem. They > said that > all the suspension components were tight and the van was safe > to drive. > But I have 3 kids and I am very concerened about this sound. > It just > doesn't sound good and I worry that something is going to > give. Anybody > experience this out there?

Reply to
duraband420