2001 neon keys

Having just bought a 01 neon the dealer had only one set of keys. I went to the dodge dealer in town and had another set made ($65) . Well, got home today and the salesman that I had bought the car from said the previous owner had dropped of another set. Now my question. They had to have my original set of keys to program the new set. So am I correct to assume that the two sets are now programed the same and the (found) key will no longer work?. I would like to have three sets to keep around but I don't want to pay $30 to program the three alike if necessary. One more question--the door lock mechanism on the found is probably not programed for the sets I have now is it? is there a way to aleast set it up so I could have a least two unlock devices??? Thanks for any responses Chris

Reply to
Christopher Shoenleben

I will try and answer your question. I don't really understand what you are saying. But, The dealer does not have to have one of your keys to cut a new one, the key code is in Chryslers data base and we can cut a new key off of that code with out having an old key or the vehicle. However...If this is a gray key with a chip in it the dealer will have to have the car and the new key in order to program the SKIM number in it, if you don't program the key the engine will start up and die out 3 times. The 4th time the engine wont even crank. Now the old key that the owner gave to the salesman I still a good key and should work with out a problem, all the keys are programmed with the same SKIM code to allow the vehicle to start.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Picked up the key yesterday. You were right!! The key worked and also the door unlock. Thanks for your help. Chris

Reply to
Christopher Shoenleben