2001 T&C, creak/thump when turning steering wheel

2001 T&C 127,000 miles power steering fluid level OK, although appears a bit dirty tires < 1 year old new struts, mounts < 1 year old
When I turn the steering wheel either direction, I get a consistent
repeated thumping/creaking sound. It started this week and happens when stationary or driving. The noise sounds like it might be coming from near the end of the column.
Suggestions on what to check first?
Thanks.
if you use the steering wheel to aid in getting in and out of the vehicle it will cause the bearings in the column to creak they were not made for that kind of pressure but make sure nothing is wrapped around the shaft under the dash befiore it is replaced if that is the issue a new one is 300 + a salvage unit t 100.00