2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport: Ignition Starter Problem

About half the time, when I try to start my van, the key won't turn in the ignition. There is a crank, there is fuel injection, there is also engine turnover. But for some reason the "magic" does not occur.

I tried both keys that came with the van (bought new), as well as a spare. Interior lights, head lights will work. Equipment lights, clock etc do display; everything works as it should pre-ignition and post-ignition.

I checked with a mechanic - and he stated it might be a security problem with the "keys." However, after checking with Chrysler Support, there is no malfunction with the security light/l.e.d. and the key is recognized by the Engine on-board computer. Remote unlock/lock works and the panic button also works.

Van has 3.3 V-6 engine, 150k. Checked for recalls was negative; did not locate any service bulletins.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
ssidhu42

Makes no sense, you say half the time the "key wont turn in the ignition" but yet "there is crank. there is fuel and there is engine turnover. How can there be crank,fuel and turn over if the key wont turn???? which is it?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the reply. That was my mistake in the wording.

-the key turns 100% of the time.

-the starter "cranks"

-fuel injection works as "i can smell it"

-all the battery operated equipment works in the car: headlights, interior lights, radio, dashboard etc.

-the engine light is non-present.

-no security problem as both dodge's wireless remote locks/unlocks and panic alarm also works fine.

-the security LED turns off after 3 seconds as it should.

-the only thing that remains is 50% of the time the "magic" happens, and the other 50% it doesnt.

-its the 50% non-magic period, where i am stuck in a parking lot for

10-15mins.

hope this clarifies it more.

thanks.

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
ssidhu42

I would take it to the dealer and have them pull all if any fault codes from the SKIM module to see if it is related to Sentry Key problem. They can also have the scan tool connected to monitor all sensors and switches to see which one is possibly causing the problem.

My guess is a fault code set for a transponder mismatch in the SKIM module.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you for the reply.

I took it to a dealership and the all the fault codes were cleared from the Engine Control Unit. The mechanic told me to use the back-up key. After utilizing it for a couple of tries, it problem resurfaced again. Is it possible to clear SKIM module manually by turning the key from the "off" to "on" position a number of times?

If there are no more possible suggestions, I would regretfully go and get a full inspection.

Thank you for all your help.

Reply to
ssidhu42

Always get the codes in writing that were found. I take it they didn't scan the SKIM module for any codes? You cannot get or clear codes from the SKIM Module

Reply to
maxpower