2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport starting problem

Currently about half the time, when I try to start my van, the key won't turn in the ignition. I tried both keys that came with the van (bought new), as well as a spare. Interior lights, head lights will work. After a few minutes and attempts, it start fine. Equipment lights, clock etc did not display; all began to work after it started. I noted on another posting reference to check engine light and codes. Unfortunately, this has been on for about 50k miles and code check by dealer indicated no problem (no loss of power, mileage etc has shown up either.) It has been suggested the problem might be related to anti-theft malfunction. Supporting this contention: although remote "unlock" worked, "panic" button did not.

Van has 3.3 V-6 engine, 116k, new battery (note: check engine light stayed off for over a week after new battery installed).

Checked for recalls was negative; did not locate any service bulletins.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Don

Ok you need to read what you posted because it makes no sense. First of all if the key wont turn in the ignition it has nothing to do with anything electrical or fault codes or anything. The tumblers are worn out in the lock preventing the key from turning. a common problem for this vehicle.

Ok, are you saying your lite was on for 50K???? and the dealer says there is nothing wrong??????

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn: sorry for the poor wording. Yes, light has been on for last

50k... dealer reported NO codes when they checked; reset and said "if it comes back on, probably a bad computer... $500 to $1200". 3 days later it came back on. A Dodge tech who also has a side business suggested that if there was a serious problem, it would go to default setting (limping was the term he used) with a marked drop in mileage and/or performance. Neither has occured.

Regarding keys: your point was what I thought at first... and, I realize now that I may have misremembered (i.e. key may have turned with no response)... assuming this is true, the failure of "panic" button even when unlock worked seems significant. (Just to make things interesting, the problem has not reoccured since I submitted my question, so I have not been able to replicate the circumstances). I will avoid wasting anymore of your time until it happens again and I can be more precise in sequence.

Don

Reply to
Don

If the lite was on, there was a code stored. Dealer should have told you what code was stored. Find a new dealer/shop.

reset and said "if

Here it sounds like they cant or dont know how to fix your vehicle so they did the other approach and scare you with a very high guesstimate. Once again, find another dealer/shop

A Dodge tech who also has a side business

Possibly a Evaporative leak failuer code or EGR failure code which will not cause a problen in fuel consumption

Ok you lost me here again. You are talking about a key that wont turn with no response and somehow we talk you get on the subject of a (key fob?) panic button? You are making me reach for the bottle here!!! LOL

(Just to make things

They are interesting.

the problem has not reoccured since I submitted my

Don your not wasting my time, I enjoy it. When the problem acts up again try to find out what the fault code is. And remember if the lite is on, there is a code. if you pay someone to diagnois your problem they have to give you that info or you dont pay the bill. Thats what you pay for, your intitled to that information.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Twech

Reply to
maxpower

If the lite was on, there was a code stored. Dealer should have told you what code was stored. Find a new dealer/shop.

reset and said "if

Here it sounds like they cant or don't know how to fix your vehicle so they did the other approach and scare you with a very high guesstimate. Once again, find another dealer/shop

A Dodge tech who also has a side business

Possibly a Evaporative leak failure code or EGR failure code which will not cause a problem in fuel consumption

Ok you lost me here again. You are talking about a key that wont turn with no response and somehow we talk you get on the subject of a (key fob?) panic button? You are making me reach for the bottle here!!! LOL

(Just to make things

They are interesting.

the problem has not reoccurred since I submitted my

Don your not wasting my time, I enjoy it. When the problem acts up again try to find out what the fault code is. And remember if the lite is on, there is a code. if you pay someone to diagnosis your problem they have to give you that info or you don't pay the bill. That's what you pay for, your entitled to that information.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Twech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, I have a similar problem with a 1998 grand caravan. However, my Key does turn and my check engine light does not stay on. When I turn the key there is one click and that's it. Radio and blower work. Some of the dash displays do not.

I had read in one of the postings that there may be a bad circuit board in the dash and giving the dash a thump closes the circuit. I have tried this with a good deal of success. Also, sometimes, especially in very cold weather, if the thump does not work, just leaving the key in the ON position for a couple of minutes appears to warm something up so that car will then start.

Reply to
john153

I forgot to add that I too have taken the car to a dealer in upstate NY. He had an analysis run, which cost be $90, but could find nothing. He suggested that I use the key fob to lock and unlock car on the chance that anti-theft system may not be working correctly but had no other clues or suggestions. Onboard diagnostics showed no error code according to dealer.

Reply to
john153

Are we talking about a no start with just a single click then nothing? such as a bad battery connection or a faulty starter solenoid? How many miles on this vehicle?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

A circuit board in the dash wont cause a no start.

Reply to
maxpower

Correct, just a single click. Approximately 130,000 miles. Have had battery checked, cleaned terminals, etc. Why would solenoid respond to thumping the dash board?

Reply to
john153

It wont!! If you were to just keep turning the key to start and off and it was the solenoid it would start without thumping on the dash. The next time it happens have someone tap on the starter with a small hammer while someone has the key in the start position to see if it kicks over.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks, will give it a try.