2002 Dodge Stratus

Does anyone know how a 2002 Dodge Status with approximately 48,000 miles on it would get a hole in the transfer case and need a new transmission??????

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

run over a rock or other debri in the road?

Reply to
rob

I do not recall running over anything yesterday. It is in the shop now and the mechanic said that either something hit it or it wore out. I am waiting for the inspector from my extended warranty company to check it out and find out if it is going to be covered.

I was just curious to see if anyone else had this same problem and how likely it is that it just wore out.

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

where do you live? don't get too accurate just a state will do

I am an inspector by trade and I'm curious if its in my area of Colorado

Reply to
rob

That depends on if the hole was produced from the inside out or outside in. If the pinion shaft came out of the differential case while driving, that could have caused severe damage to the transmission case , and it has happened before, it will cause a nice hole in the transmission case. The inspector would be able to tell this. Then of course if you hit something in the road,, it would be road damage from the outside in.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech (my opinion)

Reply to
maxpower

It most definitely did not "just wear out"...

Reply to
Dan C

Something kicked up and hit it. I had a 1984 Escort wagon several years where road debris punched a hole clean through the floorboard.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

if you ran over something the warranty wont cover it......

your insurance might however

transmission??????

Reply to
rob

transmission??????

If you hit something and have full coverage on the vehicle your insurance will cover it

Reply to
maxpower

You were right. Something broke inside the transmission and punctured a hole in the transfer case. My warranty company is going to pay for a new transmission, they have already ordered it, I was so happy. Then the repair shop called today and said that the warranty company called them and said that they would not cover the core charges and that is going to cost me approximately $500.00, plus mu deductible. I am not happy anymore, I wasn't prepared to have to pay that.

Thanks aga>> Does anyone know how a 2002 Dodge Status with approximately 48,000 miles on

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Sherry S via CarKB.com

It's bull#$^$. The core charges are going to have to be paid, because the Transmission case is damaged. And the core charge is about right. However the warranty company should be paying the core charge, not you. I would fight them on it, and even file a claim in small claims court. You will win. They are responsible for the payment of the claim, as it was not your fault. Call your rep and tell him to pay the core, as your warrnty is to pay the deductible, and tell him you will file a claim!

Reply to
David

transmission??????

Core charge for what??? they can still get the old Transmission back...But anyway, that's why I always advise on buying the manufactures extended warranty instead of an aftermarket one

Reply to
maxpower

If there is a whole in the tranny case it is not a returnable core. The case is more important to a rebuilder then the internals. Ask your parts department. Even with DC if there is a hole in the case it is not a returnable core.

Reply to
David

Factory Service Contracts eliminate all this.

Reply to
maxpower

take them to court if you want.......the inspector will testify as well as the mechanic at the shop......and the legal-ease in the contract will be brought up.

most likely they will settle for a lesser amount out of court if your lawyer asks,

Reply to
rob