2004 Caravan Door locks/power windows problem

I have a 2004 Grand Caravan with what i believe is probably a ground problem. The power door locks will unlock, but not lock on the deivers side, passenger side works fine. Using the power windows on either side will cause the doors to unlock after you release the switch. I need to know where the common points of ground failure are on a Caravan before I take it in and spend a ton of money. Is there any way can test to see if a ground is really the problem by making a second temporary ground connection to the doors? I have never troubleshooted these negative trigger through resistance type systems before and could use any help i can get.

Thanks Erick

Reply to
Erick Ondich

Still in warranty?

Reply to
Dan C

Just had the same thing happen to mine... Day after I bought it.

Due to the head gasket blowing on my old 92 GC I picked up my new to me 40 GC a day earlier than expected. Now late for work I grabbed the keys and ran... driving away I put the windows up and the locks did the lock/unlock thing you mentioned.. thought I would look into that later but it did not do it again when I went out on my dinner break.

Next day the drivers door lock switch did not lock or unlock any thing, pass door worked fine.

Later in the day while standing in the drive way I noticed that the locks were lock/unlocking them selves every now and then.. remote was sitting within view on the work bench. Later that day battery is now dead from all this locking and unlocking (and us playing with the power sliders... new car thing). Boosted it and drove fine.

Next morming I had to boost the van again so I took it in for service. Problem was the body control module which is programmed and head office with your VIN and other vehicle information like mileage. Took 2 business days to get it shipped in.

My van is still under warr so the $750 module, 1 hour to install and new battery was free (prices were verbal from the service guy as it's not on the bill). Dealer even gave me a rental car as I had only bougth it the 2 days before.

Everything has been fine since but I hope this is not a indication of things to come... this is our 4th Chrysler minivan... happy with the other 3... considering the mileage we had on them.

Reply to
4nospam

No, not in warranty anymore. I just hope it isn't the BCM.

Reply to
Erick Ondich

That is not a good sign. Dosen't look like a fix without getting the dealer involved is even possible if this is my problem... I'm all about fixing things myself, i might just have to give in on this one. At least mine isn't unlocking itself while it sits. It will ocasionally unlock itself while driving. Sometimes all is working well, everything works correctly, and then the locks will randomly unlock themselves, then it has the lock/unlock problem again. It's intermittent for me. Thats why i am still hoping it's a ground issue.

Thanks for the info. Erick

Reply to
Erick Ondich