2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Okay, my Neon started to make a very weird noise a few weeks ago. Whenever Im at a stop light or parked and the car is running, the front starts vibrating (by front I mean that there is a very noticable
vibration on the interior of the car... the steering wheel, etc.) and then theres a very weird noise that is coming from under the hood, kind of a ratting noise. Then, when I step on the gas, it stops. Any clue as to what it may be? I dont want to take it in and it just be a loose something or nother. Thanks!
Laura
like a stone stuck inside a metal heat shield?

"Abby Normal" wrote: > like a stone stuck inside a metal heat shield? >
> > > Okay, my Neon started to make a very weird noise a few weeks > ago. > > Whenever I'm at a stop light or parked and the car is > running, the > > front starts vibrating (by front I mean that there is a very > noticable > > vibration on the interior of the car... the steering wheel, > etc.) and > > then there's a very weird noise that is coming from under > the hood, > > kind of a ratting noise. Then, when I step on the gas, it > stops. Any > > clue as to what it may be? I don't want to take it in and it > just be a > > loose something or nother. Thanks! > > > > Laura > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-2004-Neon-SXT-ftopict117691.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pW1061
Yes, it does sound a bit like a stone rattling around.
go look for disconnected vacuum hoses, sounds like its not idling at the right speed.

Look around the heat shields under the car near the catalytic converter or header pipe. It could also be a cracked shield. I had that once. Drove me nuts looking for it.

uhh yeah.. gonna have to be more specific about the 'under the hood' thing. fire it up in the driveway and open the hood to tell us more about where it comes from and what it sounds like. ;) but this car is way too new for me to even begin with what might be wrong.. i'm a backyard mechanic.. not a chrysler tech :(
if it's an automatic, could be anything from --something wrong with the torque converter spinning when you stop, --to just ideling really, really low. which is the most likely problem, imo. perhaps the computer has a glitch and is running the car at like 37 rpm?
but anyway; if it's a 2004 SXT.. would you not still have some kind of warranty?