2005 Grand Caravan 3.8l - proper engine oil

I have an '05 GC with 3.8l engine. Owners manual says use 5w30 engine oil. On two occasions, my dealer has used 5w20.
My question is: is this substitution authorized by Chrysler and what
documents it?
Jack

SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 engine oils are recommended for all operating temperatures. These engine oils are designed to improve low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to the engine oil filler cap for the preferred engine oil viscosity grade for each vehicle (5W-30 Oil Filler Cap)
If you look in the back of the owners manual it will give you a chart at what temperatures to use what viscosity.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
I checked as you suggested. Oil filler cap says 5w30, engine oil viscosity chart in the owner's manual says 5w30 preferred for temps from 100F to below -20F, 10w30 for temps 0F to over 100F. Nothing at all about 5w20.
With the current temps in my area hovering around 90F, I am wondering if I'm at the margin for 5w20 usability.
Jack
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 05:28:36 -0400, "maxpower"

And, you want thinner oil when it is warmer? Explain the rational for using 5w20!
No, I don't want thinner oil when it's warmer. I asked whether Chrysler approves 5w20 as an alternative to 5w30, and if so, how is it documented (service bulletin, or some such document?).
One other respondent indicated that 5w20 is specified for his 2006 Dodge.
Jack
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:58:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hartless.com wrote:

And your owners manual stated 5w30 and 10w30. So what do you think they recommend?
-

But 20w is thinner than 30w. It would be better to go to 10w40, than 5w20 in the summer.
--
Jim in NC

My '06 GC with 3.8 uses 5W20