2005 Grand Caravan (Electrical Surge)

OK...This is an ongoing problem that I have posted about before...however, today, it really got strange (3 electrical events occuring on the same road trip to NC), however, these events have been occuring---almost daily---and, two trips to the dealer has resulted in nothing! Even if the technician is riding in the van with me....while the surge occurs---when we return to the dealer---there are no codes and nothing to pinpoint where the problem is at...since the van runs fine after the electrical events. Anyway---here is a brief synopsis of what is happening....any advice/suggestions for the dealer is greatly appreciated---as I am taking the van in on Monday.......John

REPLICATE DASHBOARD ELECTRICAL FLUTTER/SURGE: While driving at highway speed (55mph), on a flat surface, for a period of approximately 2.5 miles, the DASHBOARD MILEAGE INDICATOR and DASHBOARD TRANSMISSION INDICATOR would flash on/off, dim considerably, then flash on/off again. At the same time, ALL DASHBOARD DIAL INDICATORS (FUEL, SPEED, TEMP and TACH) would drop to ZERO (or C and E) at the same time as the electrical flutter. During this electrical event, at no time did the engine quit (however, the period of time the lights were OUT and dials were at ZERO was so brief/split-second---that the engine didn't have time to necessarily quit completely). After the 2.5 mile period of electrical surge, the DASHBOARD LIGHTs/DIALs returned to normal. This electrical event occurs completely at random, with no specific road event (bumps, rough road, railroad tracks, etc) causing the event.

REPLICATE ENGINE STALL: While at a traffic light, van in drive, van engine will quit and oil lamp is only light on dash that illuminates. Van is then placed in PARK, key is turned completely OFF, and then van is restarted with no problem. When van stalls, there is no stutter or stammer of the engine---it just completely shuts off. This event occurs almost daily (at least once a day---if not more). This event occurs at random, with no specific condition causing the event.

REPLICATE WARNING CHIME/ELECTRICAL SURGE AT ACCELERATION: While at a complete stop, van in drive, when acclerator is depressed, warning chime will sound one single chime, at the exact same time the DASHBOARD DIALs all drop to ZERO and the DASHBOARD INDICATOR LIGHTS flash. The engine remains running. This event occurs almost daily (at least once a day---if not more). This event occurs at random, with no specific condition causing the event.

Reply to
John-USN

daily---and,

Have the Technician check Body grounds for the BCM Ground #301 at the right B pillar. if grounds are good have the technician install the co pilot for you. Im sure there is an active or stored fault in a module, request that all modules are scanned for fault codes.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn....I will share that with the dealer, and let you know how it goes. John

Reply to
John-USN

I kinda had the same problem with my 99 T&C, the only difference is that now when I turn the key to start the engine the wipers run two revolutions then stop. I did the onboard diagnostic with the ignition switch (on,off,on,off,on while pressing the trip button) I got codes 1,2,4,7,8,55 . I asked the dealership and they never heard of these codes. Any body have ideas? James snipped-for-privacy@ak.net.nospam

Reply to
jperry

Cycling the key to retrieve codes is useless on the newer models. They worked up until 1995. The code would only be for the Engine controller and have nothing to do with Body, chassis or ABS faults. Your problem is Body related to the BCM/multifunction switch. Thus no code can be retrieved anyhow!! And the dealership was correct. Never heard of those codes.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for your help.