2005 Neon brakes

The car is a 2005 and I have had it six months. It only has 4,000 miles. The last month or so, the brakes have been squealing. After an oil change today the dealer told my wife that it is normal for a neon.
I don't think that this should be happening to a new car. I don't care if it is a cheap car or not. Do they make other pads that I can tell the dealer to put on?
Thanks for any thing that I can take back to the dealer.

the pads and using an elastometricpad mounting coumpound will help, as will installation of premium ceramic pads. AECs are pretty quiet, but there are better brands that come pre-chamfered etc.

More then likely the noise is coming from the rear brakes and that due to rust build up and happens mostly on cold damp mornings. The noise will normally go away after a few brake applications. If you were to remove the drums yourself you would see that there is alot of brake dust in the drums that look like rust. Due to the material that the brake shoe linings are made of this will occur. The dealer will normally not do anything for you. BG makes a solution that you can apply to the linings that will stop this from happening for a few months. And it isn't just Chrysler that has this problem....listen to all the other vehicles at a slow stop!! My son has a neon and when he blocks me in the driveway and I have to move it in the morning it sounds like his rear brakes are metal to metal.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

1500 that the brakes moan a little first thing in the morning. This is every time the car is driven. The dealer did de-glazed and sprayed the brakes. They made the same squeal as she applied the brakes departing from the dealer. I went for a ride last night and I don't see any difference. Since this is under warranty will the dealer pay to have ceramic pads put on? I hate to say this but, ever since the ford deal bought the Dodge dealer in town, our service has gone down hill bad! I've been buying vehicles from these guys for 15 years (1 used and 6 new vehicles)and the last few times I have had either vehicle serviced I've got the poor attitude and NO attention to detail. This dealer is 25 miles away from home and the next is 40. I may end up trying them if I get no satisfaction.
Thanks for your help.

You don't state the mileage of this vehicle as far as warranty work is concerned. Brakes are 12/12 only. The dealer could have replaced the pads/shoes at that time only and NO they will not install ceramic pads on your truck.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

Dec of 05 and has 4,000 miles. I was just comparing the two vehicle that I have. So what you are telling me is that they will replace the pads with what is on the car?

They will only replace the parts that came with the vehicle. Some dealers may try and make you happy and install another set of pads just to make you happy even if they know it will not fix the problem. If there was a TSB that came out with another set of pads to fix the noise problem then you would get those installed. BUT they will not install ceramics or any other type after market pad.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Wing Nut wrote:

Definitely not. I have a 2005 Neon SXT, with coming up on 8,000 miles. The breakes do not squeal.

Not that I know of except aftermarkets, but then the factory breaks are still running strong for me, and someone else I know with an '03 Neon SXT.
On the other hand, you sure you aren't riding those brakes and wore them out early? ;)
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.