$25 to identify this 1953 Dodge

1953 Dodge
Info tag states
TYPE BD4 (translates to 1-ton vehicle, 1953)
VEH#/CHASSIS 81469947 (translates to being a 1953 B-D-4 built in Detroit)
B-4-D-126 (translates to 126 inch wheelbase)
MODEL DWS109 (here I am lost - never saw that model code before)
Pictures are here -
http://www.inet-lender.com/1953Dodge /
So far, I purchased the DUNN books (no mention or pictures of this type) and the 1953 Dodge Trucks Shop Manual (no reference to this type)
Pretty Please?
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:03:26 GMT, "YouSuckI'mOK"

The body was not built by Dodge. It is a custom carrier of some type, likely built for a large fleet owner (kinda like UPS trucks today. Or like the Grumman Kerbsiders of the eighties. (Said GM on them, but GM had nothing to do with the bodies) Sears used to have special van bodies for their service trucks in some markets. Also, there were quite a few custom body builders still active in the fifties .

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:25:04 -0400, nospam.clare.nce wrote:

Like DIVCO? Love to get my hands on one of theirs. Some guy where I worked in the 80's had one (a big one) and had DIVCO in rainbow lettering across the jet black sides. It was pretty cool...if you like big DIVCOs. Either that or the van in the pictures would make a pretty cool "Band Wagon"...

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:03:26 GMT, "YouSuckI'mOK"

Upon closer inspection, the front end sure looks a lot like an old Mercedes. The "star" used to fit in the center circle. The "job rated" grille, as well as the instruments are definitely fifties Dodge, as is the chassis and engine. At least part of the chassis. The rails have been extended.(see picture 3ef4 and 3e8c)) I have not been able to find a picture of the original van, but I'm almost 100% positive this is a euro van body grafted to the Dodge chassis - I've seen that body before - in Africa in the seventies, and it was old then.

Good call - however, Mercedes never had dual windshields or sliding doors.
I ordered the build-sheets from the Chrysler Historical Collection, maybe that will provide some insight.
If you have any links/pics from those vans in Africa, the lead would be appreciated.
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:53:16 GMT, "YouSuckI'mOK"

Step-van (bread van) box MAY have originally been installed on the Dodge chassis, or a Ford, or International, or GMC. The grille has been modified. The inner section APPEARS to be Mercedes - and the bars are definitely from a B series Dodge.