3.8L timing cover seal

Hi All,
The timing cover crankshaft seal behind the dampener pulley on my 3.8L is leaking a bit too much. The service manual describes removing the seal with
a specialty tool, P/N C-4991, without removing the timing chain cover. Unfortunately, the tool isn't shown, and the seal pullers I've been able to find appear to be for use without a shaft present (by prying from within the center hole). Who carries the "C tools" mentioned in the Chilton's manual? Any simple substitutes? I haven't removed the crankshaft pulley, and got a look at the seal yet, for the sake of keeping the Caravan "in service" while I gather the necessary tools. Thanks,
Eng_Tech

I have the shop manual for a similar engine which also specifies this tool. In the manual there is a picture of it. It appears to be a sleeve with outside threads at the business end, which you would twist into the seal and thus pull it axially. The process of using a tool like this probably completely destroys the old seal, but you're pulling it anyway. Just be sure to have its successor on hand.
The old shade-tree method, of just prying the old one out using a very smooth-sided tool (so as not to nick any sealing metal surfaces), would probably work just fine too, and is in fact what I'm about to do this weekend. Having done this before I am comfortable with the technique, but warn others that if they nick the sealing surfaces the new seal will be damaged and/or not work. Proceed at your own risk.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:17:23 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Use an aluminum bar with rounded edges and you won't scratch anything. Don't use a big screwdriver, or you WILL.