3 speed transmission rebuild

Hello..I have a nice condition 1994 Caravan which has a decent engine but the transmission is shot..I can get a rebuild kit for like $55 and get the transmission off and on the bench in my garage ok but is rebuilding one of these things within the limits of the standard home mechanic or are special tools etc required?..I have a good variety of normal tools and can do stuff like alternators..starters..wheel bearings..etc..Have even changed out cylinder head gaskets..Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Programbo
3 speed what? manual, automatic? Many require special tools. If you have access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise, my answer is no. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

there is a special tool that you need to remove the clutches and put them back in the drums i would not fool with this if you never did this before you need a special tool to remove the front pump i pay 125 rom the dealer for my rebuild kits 55 seems to be a good price if they give you every thing in the kit

Reply to
truckdriver

to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

No 3 speed manual available on anyCaravan, so it HAS to be an automatic.

Main thing is you need to have a clear CLEAN workspace where lots of fluid is not a problem. It is PPOSSIBLE to do it with no "special" tools - but you do need a full set of snap-ring pliers and an inch lb torque wrench at the very minimum, over and a bove all the normal wrenches, sockets, and drivers.

Reply to
clare

access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

- snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

you can not compress the spring in the drums by handwith all the clutches and steels you need a press

Reply to
truckdriver

access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

Standard shop hydraulic press or arbor press and a bit of ingenuity - special service tool not rquired.

Reply to
clare

ave access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

i would rather use the right tools then to rig up some home made tool to do the job the real deal is much easier and no headaches

Reply to
truckdriver

access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

I've had the special service tools" and the press, and used the press because it was easier, quicker, and safer than the supplied tool

Reply to
clare

u have access to a machine shop, you could make them. Otherwise,

snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

i have the real deal for all transmissions and found i like the good snapon tools better

Reply to
truckdriver

rebuilding one of these things within the limits of the standard home >

mechanic or are special tools etc required?..I have a good variety of > normal tools and can do stuff like alternators..starters..wheel > bearings..etc..Have even changed out cylinder head gaskets..Thanks in > advance.

EVERYTHING SAID ABOUT REBUILDING YOUR TRANSMISION IS WRONG. I am sure they do not want to mislead you, but they are talking in general terms, that do not apply to this transmission. Rebuilding the Caravan 3 speed is very easy.

The special tool needed to remove the clutches is a flat head screwdriver. A round retaining clip needs to be pried out of its channel, its very simple a child or woman can do it. No need for special snap ring pliers.

A Machine shop? What exactly is there to machine? If the cultch steels are worn than you replace, but only if needed.

Clutches need to be pressed in? On what transmission? My experience is limited, but never heard about pressing clutches, is it possible? Sure but not on a caravan 3 speed.

All the posters seem to eco a message of need, for specialty tools. In this case it does not apply.

Six months ago I was in the same position as you, looking for relevant information to rebuild my 3 speed. I found a cool website of some guy that basically went through all the steps needed to rebuild. Today I was looking for the said web site to do more research. I did not find the web site but I did find this forum post and was compelled to respond and get all the info right.

While pulling the trans do not separate the steering knuckle from the strut, if you do you will have to get alignment done. Separate at the top and at the ball joint. Remember to mark the tork converter and flywheel with paint. If not you will spend some time swearing to yourself under the car

If you want to rebuild everything than you need to get the service manual, if you just want to replace the clutches it may not be necessary. It all depends on you.

  1. unbolt the pump, 2 long studs with 3/8? threads will help get it out.
2 loosen the front band adjustment on the outside of the trans case (BE CAREFULL NOT TO LOSE THE H-CLIP ON THE BAND OR YOU WILL HAVE TO FISH IT OUT OF THE TRANS) 3 Once band is lose you can take out clutch can #1 and #2, pry out the clip and examine the clutches.(if they seem ok it may be the tork converter that is gone) dip new clutches in ATF fluid and reassemble.

4 reinstall the band with H-Clip, you have to tighten the band to a specific tork setting than back it of like a turn or 2 turns. Sorry don?t remember the proper tork number you need to look it up.

After you reinstall and start driving you may feel the trans is shifting wrong, if you set the Throtel Position Swich correctly than you need to ajust that band from outside the trans case. All this will make sence when you are looking at the parts I am describing. For me rebuilding the transs is a lot easier than dicking around in your drive way and pulling it out. Good luck, if you decide to go through it, you will be suprises how easy it is to do.

Reply to
matt876