66-67 Charger Help

I'm looking at finding a 66-67 Charger, need some help. What are some things to absolutely stay away from with these early Chargers? Most I have seen are a 318, 2 bbl...any problem putting a 4 bbl on this engine? How much work is involved in converting from auto to 4 speed? Any general help on early Chargers would be most appreciated! Thanks. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Scot

The '67 would be preferred. The 318 engine is the small block version and not the poly head version. Therefore there will be a lot more equipment available, cams, heads, ignitions etc. You can get your speed equipment from Summit, Jegs etc. Changing to a 4 speed can be done but the torqueflight is faster. Put a shift kit in it and it will easily handle a 4 speed car in the quarter mile and it is virtually bullet proof.

When you look for a Charger pay special attention to the front frame rails, they have a tendency to rot. They can be repaired, there are replacements available.

Good luck. Bill '53 Hemi Cor> I'm looking at finding a 66-67 Charger, need some help. What are some

Reply to
midnightbluert