90 Caravan no voltage fuel pump problem

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 1990 Caravan 3.3L. Tested the old pump with a good battery and tested the new pump before installing it. The old pump was bad and the new worked good. Still won't start. No voltage on the connectors under the drivers side door. Tested the ASD relay (last relay) and found it in working order. I jumpered the fuel pump from the battery using an old extension cord (disconnected connectors) and the Caravan started and ran. The Haynes manual states that the ASD relay (if bad) would shut down components like the fuel pump, coil and the injectors. Since the engine started and stayed running, the ASD relay isn't bad. The manual also says that there is another relay just for the electric fuel pump, but I haven't been able to find it. I've been looking for matching wires to no avail. Can anyone help with my problem.

Reply to
staruser

If the '90 is anything like the '91, there is NO specific relay just for the fuel pump. The ASD relay is what controls the pump, and that is it...

I'd start with a continuity check between the wire in the relay connector, and the connector under the drivers door... If you get nothing there, then your problem is somewhere between those two points. Trace the wires if you can. Most likely, the splice went bad. If you've ever seen a Chrysler splice, you'll understand why... Most ridiculous and dangerous things I've ever seen...

Reply to
FeMaster

I found the same splice problem on my 91 GC, 3.3L. Total mess in the area where the fuseable links were. I had to go in and separate them into individual wires with separate fuses. The whole mass had melted together and current was being cross fed between various circuits, and some times not, which resulted in the intermittent fuel, fuel pump problems. I replaced three fuel pumps before figuring out that Dodge likes to sell fuel pumps, to solve a multitude of problems. So much for Dodge concept of a fused circuit! HYY

Reply to
Hanta-Yo-Yo