90' caravan sputtering

It is a 3.3 litre and occasionally when driving it loses power spits and sputters, backfires through the air cleaner when trying to regain power. It
never stalls and appears to run smoothly most of the time. If I feather the gas a bit or pull over for a minute it stops. It usually only happens during warmer weather. Never did it from Nov - Feb. Sometimes I'll look down at the tach and it'll say 3000rpm but the motor is barely running? It has been in a garage and nothing came up on the computer scan. I do not want to haphazardly start replacing parts - it might be this or it might be that. Anyone else had this problem?

"gro" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message