91 Dodge Spirit Stalled, Won't Start

Hello Everyone,

I have a 91 Doge Spirit 2.5 automatic that stalled out on me when I was going around a sharp turn. I coasted off to the side of the road and got it to start again but if I got on the gas it would act like it was going to stall again, if I let it idle it would run fine. So I figured I would just baby it to my uncles house as he lived close to where I was. I was almost there and it stalled again, now it won't even try to start.

The starter is turning the engine but it will not start. The timing belt is intact, the fuel pump is working and there is fuel getting to the throttlebody. I cleaned the rotor and checked to make sure the plugs were all seated in the cap and the rotor is turning with the motor. However I do not think I am getting power to the cap. I unplugged the ignition wire from the cap and held it over the shock tower bolt and had a friend turn the key, I didn't get any spark.

My question is, would the coil going bad make the car act like it was starving for fuel and then just quit? If not what else would shut down power to the coil?

Thank You in advance.

Tony

Reply to
acameron

More then likely the distributor pick up plate is bad causing the lack of spark. If you keep trying to start it with no spark you may run into other problems like flooding. Find out what fault code if any are in the computers memory.

that will explain how. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I already checked the codes (should have put that in my post), there are none, just 12 and 55. Distributer pick up plate? Hall Sensor? or the fins that spin through the sensor?

Reply to
acameron
2 things, 1 I stopped for gas less than 5 minutes before this happened, I have heard of bad gas but not sure if it would cause any of these symptoms. I am going to change the pickup but if this doesn't fix the problem is there anything else that would cause simmilar problems?

Thanks for the help

Reply to
acameron
2 more things, one is I had just gotten gas less than 5 minutes before this happened. I have heard people talk about getting bad gas but I do not know if this would cause a problem like this. If it would would the "water removers" they sell for winterizing your car do anything to help? Also, is there anything else that would cause simmilar problems like I am having? I am going to replace the sensor and plate but if these do not solve my problem what else should I look for?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
acameron

Try disconnecting the battery then try to start it, if it still does not start see if there is a fault that popped up. if the pick up plate is bad a code 11 will show up. Also if you use a cheap after market rotor button the button may get a hole burned clean thru it and the secondary ignition will not get distributed to the cap and ground out, causing a no start. If I were a betting man I would bet the pickup will get you back on the road with the info you gave me.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank You, I am leaving to go buy the pickup and put it in, Hopefull for success here, I will post later with the results.

I am no stranger to working on my cars, i have replaced engines, trans, water pumps, timing belts and so on and on .... in driveways and even on the side of the street. But computer and electrical problems always stump me cause they never seem logical : )

Thanks Again

Reply to
acameron

Glenn,

I replaced the pickup and still no spark.

Question, If i have power at the lead before the coil but do not have power at the cap, can I safely assume the coil is bad? I didnt test this before (the car is not at my house) but have tested now. It has power on one side of the clip (while cranking) but not the other, I assume this is the ground wire.

Thank you

Reply to
acameron

I ran to the parts store and piucked up a coil...If i didn't need this car to get to work I probably would have waited. Anyway, I put the new coil in and the car fired right up.

Thank you for the help

Tony

Reply to
acameron

Forget the coil right now. you will have 12 volts at one side and as it is starting/running the neg side will blink. Have you checked the rotor button as I mentioned, you will not be able to see a hole but may see a burnt mark in it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glad to hear that.

Reply to
maxpower

good thing im not a betting guy

Reply to
maxpower

I would have waited but I really needed the car to get to work today...... I really do appreciate the info.. When I had power at the leads going into the coil but no power out of the coil I figured what the hell.....I got to the store right as they were closing and they acctually had one in stock (just the one : ) ) It was the only other thing I could try right then and there so I went for it. Got lucky I guess. I hate electrical problems cause there are so many things that can have similar symptoms. anyway, thanks again.

Tony

Reply to
acameron

Read posts for 91 dodge spirit,I had no spark either replaced coil to no evail,where would the computor be on this model? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
jersey1091