92 Caravan front end shakes

I got a problem similiar to a post a few days ago. It started about 6 weeks ago and has slowly but surely gotten worse. The front end...more towards the left wheel side, shakes badly. At first this occured at about 50mph, but now if I am going uphill with my foot on the gas it will set it off and it will vibrate badly on what seems the left wheel area. It will make a thump sound like the tire wants to fall off. It will even do it at 5-10 mph if I am going up a steep hill. But after I make the hill it will catch itself and stop shaking going downhill. Three weeks ago, my local mechanic (nice guy for oil changes, but not the greatest at catching more serious stuff) found no trouble, he thought it was an imbalanced tire so he balanced it but it did no good. Anyways, I got an appointment this Friday will another mechanic. Is this an inner CV joint issue? I did get a clicking sound turning corners 6 weeks ago, but my local mechanic said the CV joints/boots looked ok. But now I wonder if he missed something. Any additional information appreciated. It has to be more than an imbalance tire. I can't take the van on the interstate safely until it is fixed. Just drive it locally at low speed until Friday.

Reply to
snow

Could be an inner joint, pay close attention to the right inner joint for play, This could still be a tire problem, if the tire has a broken cord a balance wont catch it, you would have to do a road force balance to check that, That requires a special tire balancer, Why not switch tires from front to rear to see if the problem is gone? Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower