'92 Dakota 3.9 distributer gear replacement

To make a long story as short as I can.... Was driving my '92 Dakota 3.9 and it left me set. After checking fuel pump pressure (okay) I checked the distributor rotor and saw that it
was not turning. I immediately thought timing chain, but all the rockers move up and down. I pulled the distributor and saw that the distributor gear had enough slack to it that it had pulled away from the camshaft gear and that was the reason for the distributor not turning. I tried to pull the gear up and out of the engine with a seal puller, but didn't have any luck. So, to save myself a little time, what will this all involve to get it fixed? First, what has to be replaced to get the slack/slop out of the distributor gear? Does the oil pump need replacing or can I do this repair without pulling the oil pan? I guess at this time I need to mention that the camshaft gear looks perfect. Any comments by anyone here who has done this repair would be appreciated. TIA.

That was a common problem for the 3.9. There were a few TSB's out on the problem you are having, The distributor shaft bushing has worn out and a new oil pump drive gear and bushing will need to be replaced and the distributor will need to be re-indexed. Special tools that the dealer has will be needed to perform this repair. Not a DIY repair
Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech
If it is simillar to the 318 V8's YES you will need to remove the oil pan, remove oil pump With a drift punch drive the gear & shaft up out of the engine, Also need long piece of round bar stock- use it to drive the bushing up & out. Check the new bushing & new pump drive shaft for fit before assembly. The factory has a burnishing tool to fit the bearing to the shaft, but check the fit you may be able to do without it. You will need the tools or someone to index the distributor when you are done

WRONG. You do not need to remove the pan and pump. There are tools that will remove the bushing and install a new one. All you need to do is remove the distributor.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Max what you say is true but sometimes when working in your drive way you have to improvise

Yup, you have a point there.