’93 Plymouth Sundance that needs a little loving

I just bought a ?93 Plymouth Sundance that has a few things that need attention. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it! So here are the problems: The greatest is that the transmission is having some difficulties shifting, especially in the cold. When I first start the car I really have to rev it so it will shift into drive. Then sometimes it will stay stuck in second gear, going up to and above 3000 rpm when I am just trying to go the speed limit at 35 mph! I figured out that if I just stop, shift into neutral, then restart the car it fixes it but it still worries me greatly. Along the same lines, the heater is having a difficult time. I think it has something to do with how my engine seems to have a hard time getting warmed up, sometimes taking up to twenty or thirty minutes before I drive. Then it cools right back down when I start to drive. And it never is able to maintain its heat when I am going at higher speeds. One other problem is that three out of the four doors does not open from the outside. They open from the inside but it is quite annoying because one of the doors that does not work is the driver?s door and having to crawl over the passenger seat to open it gets old. The handles just don?t seem to do anything from the outside. Also, the horn does not work. I hope this is not because something has been tampered with something in the shaft of the steering wheel. Is there any fix? A minor problem is that the right turn signal does not work. It just comes on but does not flash. I have to operate it manually. Last and what seems to be the most minor problem is that the windshield wiper fluid shoots straight up in the air instead of on the windshield. So if anyone has any advice, even if really minor, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Reply to
snowgrl4

About the heat...Your heater core is bad, same thing happened on my 91 Sundance. Had it replaced, great heat now.

Reply to
b.clausen

The transmission fluid should be checked. do you have enough? is it low? Is it burnt in color or smell? Heater and the fact the engine does not stay warm would have me believe that your thermostat in the engine is stuck in the open position allowing the coolant to continually flow and not building up heat sufficiently. that is why your engine could be cold, and not allowing heat to warm up the passenger compartment. Horn problem is likely the horn itself is shot. did you check the horn relay? Doors could be that the latches are broken. you can adjust the nozzels for washer fluid with a paperclip. just uncurl the clip and stick the tip of paperclip into the washer nozzel hole and move it.

Reply to
holycow

Check the fluid level, it could be low. The trans could also have worn internal seals and just need a rebuild.

Then sometimes it will

The trans computer detects a problem and locks the trans in second gear, this is known as limp home mode. I would look into the tranny issues first as this could be an expensive repair.

Sounds like a bad thermostat that is stuck open.

This should be an easy fix. You need to remove the inner door panels so you can see what is wrong with the linkage. It may be as simple as the plastic clips that hold the linkage together have broken.

May not be hard to fix but requires an understanding of how electrical systems operate in order to diagnose the problem.

Most likely problem is a burnt out bulb on that side.

Adjust the washer nozzles. If not able to adjust them replace them with new.

Mike