'94 Caravan 3.3 belt tensioner

'94 Caravan 3.3 has the serpentine belt running half-off the tensioner pulley and hence it's partially off the adjacent pulley. I understand that when the tensioner goes bad it will pivot outward slightly and cause the belt to run like that. The pulley on the tensiner was replaced a couple months ago and it is still in perfect condition. I went to replace the tensioner and it looks to be in a very difficult place to get at. I bought a new tensioner and there is just one lone stud coming out of the back of it to fasten it to the engine with a nut, but looking at the tensioner on the engine I can't even see where that nut is or how to get at it, etc. Anyone know the optimal way of changing these? Looks like a difficult fix. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
James Goforth

You wasted your money on the pulley. When the tensioner goes bad it goes bad at the shaft and spring area. I have never tried to replace one from the top and would imagine it to be difficult. A lift would be the way to do this.

good luck

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks, Glen, The bearing went out of the pulley a couple months ago and that's why I replaced it, it was noisy, but not relevant to the current problem of throwing the belt. I figured some of the components would have to come off, but I was just trying to find out which ones, etc. On this one I can't tell that well just by eyeballing it, wondering if someone else had done one and what needs removed to fo it. TIA

Reply to
James Goforth

Raise and safely support vehicle.

Remove splash shield from the lower right side of engine compartment.

Remove serpentine belt (from underneath).

Shine a flashlight up at the right rear side of the engine towards the power steering pump. There is a brace that runs between the power steering pump and the engine block, above this brace you will feel (reach up there, it ain't gonna bite you) a nut. This is the nut that fastens the tensioner assembly to the engine .

Using a 15mm socket and necessary extensions/ swivels/universal joints, rotate the 15mm nut counter clockwise until the tensioner assembly can be fully removed from the bracket it mounts to.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Note the locating nub on the new tensioner, note the locating hole on the bracket that the tensioner assembly fastens to. Make the nub fit in the hole or your serpentine belt will not fit correctly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda wrote, "Raise and safely support vehicle. Remove splash shield from the lower right side of engine compartment. Remove serpentine belt (from underneath). Shine a flashlight up at the right rear side of the engine towards the power steering pump. There is a brace that runs between the power steering pump and the engine block, above this brace you will feel (reach up there, it ain't gonna bite you) a nut. This is the nut that fastens the tensioner assembly to the engine . Using a 15mm socket and necessary extensions/ swivels/universal joints, rotate the 15mm nut counter clockwise until the tensioner assembly can be fully removed from the bracket it mounts to. Installation is the reverse of removal. Note the locating nub on the new tensioner, note the locating hole on the bracket that the tensioner assembly fastens to. Make the nub fit in the hole or your serpentine belt will not fit correctly." ************************************** Thanks for that, removing that power steering brace made it visible and much easier.

Reply to
James Goforth

I might add that when loosening the retaining nut for the tensioner, it didn't seem very tight, possibly allowing the tensioner to pivot out slightly and causing the belt to ride out on the pulley. This isn't surprising since I expected the limited access and leverage could make it difficult to tighten the nut to sufficient torque to ensure it staying tight, hence I'd planned on using Loctite on the threads, which I'd recommend for this job. Thanks again.

Reply to
James Goforth