'94 Caravan shakes

My '94 Caravan ES 3.3L (shorter wheelbase) shakes between 55-60 mph. I've had the tires rotated and balanced, and there's nothing visibly wrong with them (bent rim, etc.) and just had the front end aligned. Still, it kind of "hops" at that speed. Anyone know what else to try? CV shafts and front end parts all appear to be in good condition, and the vehicle has been well maintained. Plus, I've wondered why it doesn't do it at ALL speeds, rather than just the one speed I spend most of my time driving at. Why doesn't it just start to shake once it gets up to a certain velocity and then continue indefinitely?

Reply to
Gomer Einstein

A bad tire can still be balanced, the best way to eliminate a tire problem is to find a shop that has a Road Force tire balance machine, it will check the tires for out of roundness and bad cords if any. Normally the inner CV joints and mostly the one on the passenger side will cause severe shake but this only happens under a load, as in taken off form a stop, then goes away as the load is gone. If all checks good there, have the suspension tested for worn parts.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I got a new set of tires once, and one of them ended up getting replaced under warranty because they just couldn't get the bump & shake out of it. Could be you've just got a bad tire...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

I never thought I would get to question Einstein ;-)

When you had the tires rotated and balanced, did the shake position change any? Is the shake in the steering wheel? Look at the back of the front seats, do they shake too, or is it in the rear of the van How many miles are on the chasis and tires?

Parts that have motion to them are affected differently by different speeds.-- J

Gomer E> My '94 Caravan ES 3.3L (shorter wheelbase) shakes between 55-60 mph.

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

my wifes 94 gr voyger had that problem.i replaced rt axle,due to boot and joint failure.still had shake.had tires checked,rotated,no change.at over 100k,i put on a new left axle shaft,still no change.contacted autozone,they warrented the rt axle,less than 6 months old,i replaced the right axle again and shake is gone.....bob

Reply to
LOWERLINK

I would have to agree to look to the Right side CV shaft, as this was my first thought, if you get a chance to remove the right CV shaft again, grab onto the spline ends and check the smoothness in a circular motion, I have had some remanufactured CV's that were very stiff to move...that would cause a vibration. This procedure is almost impossible to check with the CV installed on the vehicle --J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

This van was bought from the Chrysler dealer where it was bought new by the original owner and recently traded in. The dealer had all service records but for some reason they didn't want to just hand them over to me, but would make copies of the "main" ones, (transmission, etc.) But anyway, I'd suspect any cv shafts having been replaced there would most likely be new Chrysler parts, as opposed to discount rebuilts. I can see how a stiff cv joint would cause that but it seems like it would then do it at speeds other than 55-60 as well and also it would change on curves. Also, why the RIGHT one? Longer?

Reply to
Gomer Einstein

Parts that have mobility to them are affected differently by different speeds.

You could travel at 65-70mph or for more help answer the questions: What is the location of the shake? steering wheel, seats, dash? Look at the back of the front seats, do they shake too, or is it in the rear of the van. How many miles are on the chasis and tires?

I don't have a real answer for that other than it's seems to be the length, also if it has a little play, it will cause vibration.--J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

The right side is where most of the torque comes from on accel. That's why the vehicle has a tendency to pull right on accel