'94 Caravan Transmission noise

I've noticed that when I put my van in reverse it makes a not-very-loud "ratcheting" sound, which lasts about a second, as it's going into reverse. It's a 3.3 with auto overdrive. I believe the transmission has been rebuilt by the dealership in the past. The van has 142K on the clock now. The noise is quiet enough as to only be noticeable when it's in the garage and the windows rolled down. Anyway, is this noise normal for these, or is it a sign of an impending transmission problem?

Reply to
Gomer Einstein

There is another series of posts elsewhere in this discussion room addressing the very same symptom you describe (apparently it's normal).

Reply to
James Goforth

A friend of mine explained it is a 'solenoid' in the transmission and is normal.

My LHS does it, too.

Reply to
Hachiroku