94 Dodge Caravan BCM

My 94 Caravan's dash lights stopped working. My mechanic said it's the body control module and a rebuilt one from the dealer is $380. He's put out a search to local junkyards to see if we can find a used one, and in the meantime, I'm searching on line.

They replaced the switch that they say shorted out the BCM, and they tried jumping that circuit on the BCM, with no success. He said this BCM controls other stuff too, and if I don't get it repaired or replaced, those things will start to go too. (I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play on on tv, so I'm not sure if I understood that correctly.)

I've done the prerequisite searches on Google, and I have a bunch of used-parts dealers saying they have the part for me. Weird thing is that prices range from $35 to $225. The $225 quote is from someone who has BCMs with the exact part number. Some of the other places say that matching the exact part number isn't necessary because all Dodge BCMs are essentially the same thing. My mechanic shook his head a little at that and said he thinks it *is* necessary to get the exact same part. I tend to believe him, because he's always done right for me in the 12 years I've been taking vehicles to him.

So I guess I'm asking two questions - is it, as we believe, necessary to match the exact part number? And is $225 a reasonable price? $225 is certainly better than the $380 the dealer wants, but I'm paying my quarterly taxes next week so I'm not feeling very wealthy.

I make the wry observation that if this was one of the 10-year-old cars I drove in the 80's, dash lights not working would be merely a bulb or a switch or a fuse!

Thanks in advance all, fatbak

Reply to
fatbak

If you swithc a BCM with a junk yard one that is not the same, you will have more problems then you can imagine, I would not do that if i were you, get one from Chrysler

Reply to
maxpower

can anyone please tell me where the bcm is on a Caravan...I like this van but after i pick this thing up the door ajar , interior lights, and all the power door lock are slamming on and off...I'll eplace the bcm myself, but I need to know where under the dash it is please...

Reply to
rod igo via CarKB.com

Having just been through the agony of replacing the BCM in my 97 Caravan, I can tell you that it is mounted on the back of the fuse block, under the dash on the driver's side. But before you replace the BCM, try adjusting the door switches - one of them may be giving a false door open signal that triggers all the other responses - I had a similar problem with my 97 when I bought it brand new, and while the dealer did replace the BCM, I think it was his adjusting the door latches that finally did the trick.

Reply to
snookums

Your van sounds as if the sliding door ajar switch is bad, replace it first at a cost of about 12 bucks...if that don't fix it I will tell you where the BCM is.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower