95 caravan overheating...but no heat inside

Hey Everyone...my parents caravan is having the issue that its overheating, but there is no heat inside the vehicle - just blows cold air. I immediately checked the coolant and it was damn near empty, so
I topped that up, but still had the same issues after that. If someone could outline a few things that I can try, with the cheapest fixes first, itd be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-caravan-overheating-heat-inside-ftopict108052.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pP4668
It takes coolant to give you heat, if there is no coolant you have no heat..... first thing is to find the leak and fix it. What engine? Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
what's the temp where you live? if it's below freezing outside and you had a water/glycol mix in there, it's possible that the heater core has frozen up, along with the coolant in the bottom of the rad. not enough in there to crack anything though.
warming up the engine won't help, you'll have to move it inside and heat the whole thing over a weekend to see if anything thaws out.
of course, this is only the case if it is below freezing where you live. (like it is where i live right now)
also, check the thermostat. perhaps the excess heat has damaged the thermostat, (speculation) and that's why, even with lots of coolant, there's still no heat inside. i'm not sure about chryslers, but on the sprint and metro, the coolant from the block through the heater core is directed in a funny way, so with a faulty thermostat, the engine can be overheating with no heat inside at all.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-caravan-overheating-heat-inside-ftopict108052.html
"ArchTaib" wrote: > what's the temp where you live? if it's below freezing > outside and you had > a water/glycol mix in there, it's possible that the heater > core has frozen > up, along with the coolant in the bottom of the rad. not > enough in there to > crack anything though. > > warming up the engine won't help, you'll have to move it > inside and heat the > whole thing over a weekend to see if anything thaws out. > > of course, this is only the case if it is below freezing where > you live. > (like it is where i live right now) > > also, check the thermostat. perhaps the excess heat has > damaged the > thermostat, (speculation) and that's why, even with lots of > coolant, there's > still no heat inside. i'm not sure about chryslers, but on > the sprint and > metro, the coolant from the block through the heater core is > directed in a > funny way, so with a faulty thermostat, the engine can be > overheating with > no heat inside at all. > >
> > > Hey Everyone...my parents caravan is having the issue that > it's > > overheating, but there is no heat inside the vehicle - just > blows cold > > air. I immediately checked the coolant and it was damn near > empty, so > > I topped that up, but still had the same issues after that. > > If someone could outline a few things that I can try, with > the > > cheapest fixes first, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks a > lot. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-caravan-overheating-heat-inside-ftopict108052.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pP4668
Thanks for the replies guys. To answer both your questions...the engine is a 3.0L V6 and it is well below freezing here where I am (Calgary, AB, Canada)...down to around -15 Celcius the last couple days. There are no leaks from what I can tell...but Ill check out the thermostat first thing
"gtiguy81" wrote: > Thanks for the replies guys. To answer both your > questions...the engine is a 3.0L V6 and it is well below > freezing here where I am (Calgary, AB, Canada)...down to > around -15 Celcius the last couple days. There are no leaks > from what I can tell...but I'll check out the thermostat first > thing
Well now Ive got one problem solved but not the other...its no longer overheating, (I guess because of the topped up coolant)...but still not getting heat inside? Is that a definite indicator that the thermostat is screwed?
Thanks again,

You still gottta find out where the coolant went!!! you can check it for a fault code 17 which is a stuck open thermostat..or just replace it,,,, cost is nothing and would take about 1/2 hr to do
definately find out where the fluid went. :s don't want it to be a recuring problem.
i live up in edmonton, so the temps are the same. ...and the sprint i mentioned with the exact same problem had both a busted thermostat, and it was freezing up in the heater core *inside the car gets just as cold as outside the car overnight*. we brought it in the garage, let it get warm overnight, and everything was perfect. *though ice crystals in the antifreeze was a good indicator.. and the fact that there was no heat inside the car. ...cause the heater core sits just about as low as the bottom of the rad, we figured the fluid sat in there and just froze up.*
hope that helps, i haven't got much else to offer.

I have the same problem with our 1990 Dodge Shadow 2.2 L. changed thermostat, and my next step was to flush the heater core, just wondering if this could be the same problem. (heater core froze), I have not expected that because testing the coolant, which is clean and tests for -45 C.
What is the best way to flush the heater core?
let me know your opinion.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-caravan-overheating-heat-inside-ftopict108052.html
"Randy" wrote: > I have the same problem with our 1990 Dodge Shadow 2.2 L. > changed > thermostat, and my next step was to flush the heater core, > just wondering if > this could be the same problem. (heater core froze), I have > not expected > that because testing the coolant, which is clean and tests for > -45 C. > > What is the best way to flush the heater core? > > let me know your opinion. > >
> > > Hey Everyone...my parents caravan is having the issue that > it's > > overheating, but there is no heat inside the vehicle - just > blows cold > > air. I immediately checked the coolant and it was damn near > empty, so > > I topped that up, but still had the same issues after that. > > If someone could outline a few things that I can try, with > the > > cheapest fixes first, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks a > lot. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-caravan-overheating-heat-inside-ftopict108052.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pP4668
In my case it was a leak afterall...I noticed it after I topped up the coolant again, took it for a short spin, had heat, engine was not overheating...got home, checked the coolant and it was close to empty again...not sure how I didnt see that originally...anyway, took it to Midas, they determined it was a rusted thru frost plug and that was it. Cost me a a few bucks because they had to pull the tranny out to get at it, but its all good now.
found the problem, heater core was dirty, flushed it and now I have more heat than I know what to do with.
'