'95 Intrepid - Automatic Transaxle problems

My Intrepid transaxle was playing up especially in reverse gear. So I decided to replace the ATF and the filter. This I did successfully as there was no leaks. But since then there is no forward or reverse
movement when the car is placed in gear and the gas pedal touched. Sometimes it will go backwards, and then won't go forward in drive. So I could not drive to a shop to be checked anyway.
Is there anything else I can check, i.e. the electrics as the gear box is electronic controlled. Is there anything that has to be reset? Or is the whole thing ruined? Also what level should the ATF be when the transaxle is cold. Between the add mark and first whole I would assume but would like some confirmation of this.
All info grateful received.
Alan Cheltenham England

stopping the engine. I get a very erroneously high level of oil if I check a cold transmission for fluid level.

Transmission fluid level should be checked with the engine RUNNING. Cycle through all positions slowly, from park to 1st, and then back to park. Now check the level... Should also really be checked with the trans is at operating temperature... Drive the car around for about 10 to 20 minutes.
Read thru this http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html