95 neon nightmare?

95 Neon, 78,000 miles, no previous problems, driving after 1 mile, normal, started sounding like rocks in the hubcap, then a bang, lost engine power, engine cut off, coasted to stop, then engine leaked
coolant from pulley area of engine, no other fluids leaked, motor turns over but will not fire, no overheating involved. ???? Help, diagnosis, prognosis?

Sounds as if your water pump took a dump making the timing belt jump. I believe this is not a free wheeling engine and could have bent the valves if the piston hit them.. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

Sooo, if that sounds like what I think it does, considering I paid 2800 for this car a year ago, is there much use in trying to save it or is it terminal??

turns
valves
I have no idea what the vehicle looks like or what kind of shape it is in. and you would first have to get it diagnosed
maxpower wrote:

Oh, I understand that and I'm not quoting you, just wondering if it is that, and you're not the first today to mention that, if it will be replacing the engine or is it a fix that might exceed my perceived worth of the car being fixed..roughly $500.....

lost
diagnosis,
jump.
2800
in.
$500 bucks beats a car payment every month for 3 years, and those Neon's aren't really bad on gas either
Your problems do not sound good I'm guessing the cam belt tensioner broke ?? distroying the waterpump / timing belt. Since you have tried to start it did it turn over faster than normal? good indication the timing belt is broken. Pull the valve cover off Look for any unusual valve clearances indicating bent valves ??
sqdancerLynn wrote:

No, it turns over regular speed. no unusal noise when turning it over. No water in oil. Either way, guess it's going to be no simple fix.