96 Caravan starting problems

The facts:

1996 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Liter

Turns over but won=92t start. Has happened twice. First time: I used the van to drive to several locations and shut it down and started it with no problems about three times in one evening. The wife drove it for about 15 minutes and parked it in the driveway. I went to use it about an hour later and it turned over normally but just wouldn=92t start. I went out the next morning and it still wouldn=92t start. Later in the day I had a tow truck sent to pick it up and the driver tried it before he hooked it and it started so I didn=92t tow it.

Second time: That evening we drove it about 30 miles with several stops and didn=92t have any problems. About an hour after we got home I attempted to start the van again and this time it cranked but ran very roughly for about 30 seconds before it died. I made several more immediate attempts to start it with the same results before it wouldn=92t run at all but would still turn over with the starter. This morning it would just turn over.

Reply to
Gary T
1996 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Liter

Turns over but won?t start. Has happened twice.

From answers.com Do this to see if you have any codes set. Then if the fuel filter is old replace it. It could be your fuel pump going out also. Could be other things.

You might already know this , but I post it anyway. To see the codes displayed, You insert key, turn on to accessories (not start engine), turn off, turn on, turn off, then turn to on again and left it in that position.

In a few seconds, you will see a cycle of "blinks" begin on the dash display, (left side of steering column in my 90' Grand Caravan). The code format is displayed in pairs.

Example: one blink, short pause, three blinks = Code 13

longer pause

Example: two blinks, short pause, five blinks = Code 25

End of cycle is always displayed last as five blinks, short pause, five blinks.

Reply to
Dick Cheney

Go borrow a fuel pressure gauge from one of the chain stores and see if the pump is going bad.

1996 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Liter

Turns over but won?t start. Has happened twice. First time: I used the van to drive to several locations and shut it down and started it with no problems about three times in one evening. The wife drove it for about 15 minutes and parked it in the driveway. I went to use it about an hour later and it turned over normally but just wouldn?t start. I went out the next morning and it still wouldn?t start. Later in the day I had a tow truck sent to pick it up and the driver tried it before he hooked it and it started so I didn?t tow it.

Second time: That evening we drove it about 30 miles with several stops and didn?t have any problems. About an hour after we got home I attempted to start the van again and this time it cranked but ran very roughly for about 30 seconds before it died. I made several more immediate attempts to start it with the same results before it wouldn?t run at all but would still turn over with the starter. This morning it would just turn over.

Reply to
Steve Newman

First things first - before getting in to the fuel system - check for spark Pull one plug wire and hold it close to a good ground and have the engine cranked. If you have good spark and it doesn't start - look into the fuel. If you have no spark, the fuel is NOT the problem, so don't bother looking there. A weak cam or crank sensor (can't remember which one) can cause intermittent starting problems, without throwing a code.

Reply to
clare

some cars have fuel relief valves on the fule line. so if you press on it, it will initially put out some gas, then crank again. see if it builts pressure. fuel pumps donot act intermediate, if it is bad, it means dead.

I agree check the spark first, second fule pressure. if you donot have fule pressure, pull the fule pump relay and apply 12 volt to the fule pump directly to see if you can get pressure.

good luck.

Reply to
ulas c coskun