96 Intrepid Drive Train Computer

I have one that had the computer downshift at highway speeds and just tore the tranny up. Been replaced with working one, shifted on jacks through all gears, backed out of drive to road test then won't shift
out of low. Turned it off restarted then ran through the gears great. Been told sounds like the DT computer,what cha think?

What you experienced is called "limp in" mode. It happens what one of the sensors in the transmission tells the computer there is a problem. It's designed to help prevent the transmission from self-destructing. In this mode all you get are what the manual portion of the valve body allows, Second and Reverse.
I'd guess that your problem was caused by "driving" the car while it was off the ground. The tranny's in the H-Body vehicles just don't like to be toyed with, they are VERY sensitive... If you don't have any future problems with the tranny entering limp-in mode, I wouldn't worry about it.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Different transmission, new computer module. Now the car will shift all the way through the gears after a hard shift in low to start. When I stop it goes into second"limp in" mode until I stop,put in park and restart. It will then do the hard shift in low and beautifully shift all the way to overdrive. What's up? I'm going to take it now the module has been reinstalled and get a code reading, but does this sound like a major problem to you? sqdancerLynn wrote: