96 Neon, noise

So here's my problem: when I start the car the transaxel starts making this hideous grinding/scraping noise. This noise does not go away when the car
has warmed up, but it does go away if (a) the clutch is depressed or (b) you drive the car for about five minutes. What's going on here?
Could be your pressure plate and throwout bearing are bad.