96 Stratus dies when driven on highway...help PLEASE!

Hi all....I tried posting earlier today but seems it got lost in space so I'll try again.
My daughter's 96 Stratus has had to be towed 2 times in the past 3
weeks. Seems it runs okay around town but when she ventures onto a highway (warming the car up good) it sputters and dies after a while and cannot be started again until it's cooled down real good.
My son is trying to help her out...not a mechanic but can fix things once he knows what to look for. He had done a tune up on the car...plugs, wires, etc...oil change and new anti freeze. Thought it could be head gasket but no water seems to be in the oil.
My daughter is a single Mom with not much money to be contantly paying for the wrong parts. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Please...anyone?? You guys seem very knowledgable here....Hope to see some input when I check back in the morning.
Thanks so much, Marge
Since similar problems exist It is hard to diagnose a problem without first running a few test. Having said that - You seem to think that the problem occurs when the vehicle is warmed up, but driving it around town would make the car warmer than the highway driving, so I think you are misled. Highway driving requires the engine to have a constant supply of fuel, which I believe to be your problem is the engine being starved of FUEL due to a dying FUEL pump located in the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter too , which is tucked up and to the back of the fuel tank. (The fuel filter is only replaced in this model when the fuel pump is being serviced)--J
Margie Tremblay wrote:

Thanks so much....looks like a new fuel pump is the next step...
Margie