97 Caravan A/C compressor

Anyone got one or know where I can get a cheap one? I'm desperate! I live in a very rural area, and there are no salvage yards anywhere around. 97

3.0 V6

Also, it hasn't worked since I bought it, and the guy I bought it from says it doesn't work, so he disconnected it so that the heater would work in the winter. My father-in-law, who is a mechanic and used to work for Chrysler, said more than likely the high/low switch in the compressor was triggered and shut down. I asked the guy I bought it from (who fortunately lives about 50 feet away) if he did a pressure test, and he said no he did not. He said that when they tried to run the heater with the a/c compressor connected, the compressor would screech like it is locked up. I have not reconnected it to find out for myself, but should I? Based on that, is there any point in reconnecting it and doing a pressure test, or is it more likely that the compressor is shot?

Reply to
greaseangel

With the engine off, and cool, see if the compressor can be turned by hand. Try turning the clutch, not the pulley. The clutch is on the front of the compressor. If the compressor cannot be turned by hand then I would suspect that it has seized up and needs to be replaced.

There are many salvage yards on the internet. Try this link:

Reply to
Gyzmologist