maxpower

If the vehicle can be run with both wheels off the ground, simply grab the steering knuckle where the bearing mounts with it running in gear, and you will feel which one is noisy. They don't have to be terribly bad to be evident.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Grab the steering knuckle with it running in gear? hmm, doesn't sound like a good idea to me

Reply to
maxpower

You also don't want to run without a load on the axles/cv joints etc and with the wheels off the ground you are increasing the angle of the half shafts beyond normal spec which is also not a good thing.I agree with you maxpower, it's a bad idea .

Reply to
flatfish

You are not running beyond the fully extended suspension angle and will NOT cause any damage to the U-Joints at this angle. You are NOT running at high speed. No load on the CV joints? No problem. Happens ALL the time at coast. I've checked front bearings that way since front drive first became common in the early 80s, and rear bearings long before that. Do you need to be carefull? Yes, but like I say about power tools, if it's of any use at all, it's dangerous. Just use some common sense and be carefull. Knowing the danger is well over half the battle.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It's okay, I don't think he could actually reach the steering knuckle from the driver's seat, anyway... ;)

Reply to
Marcus