97 Intrepid Loses power

I have a 97 Intrepid with a 3.3 engine. It will lose power going down the road. I was going 55 MPh and for about 5 seconds, the RPM and MPH dropped slowly. Then it took off back to normal. It has been happening for months. I think that when it happens and you push the accelerator pedal it will take off right away. When it happened for 5 seconds I did not move the accelerator.

The Check engine light never comes on. I have tried to have the codes pulled but there are none.

I took it to my Dodge dealer to have a Copilot put on it to record what is going on. Both of their Copilots would not work. I do not think they are going to get them fixed or buy a new one.

I have replaced TSP Crank sensor Cam sensor Spark Plugs & wires Ignition coil The engine computer PCV Air filter

Any help will be appreciated.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Its going to be hard to find especially if it is fuel related because unless the problem isn't happening a fuel pressure test will show up as normal pressure. If the fuel pump is going out it is not monitored by the PCM therefore it will not set a fault code. The co-pilot would be the way to go so maybe find another dealer that knows how to use it. Sounds to me like the dealer just doesn't want to go thru the trouble of connecting it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

How long does the co-pilot record. The dealer said it takes a snapshot of the readings when you push the button. And you can push the button 3 times. I have heard that there are some scanners that record for 30 seconds. The dealer tried to put on 2 co-pilots. Both would not work. He said that he bought one about a year ago for $1200 and only used it twice. He did not know if he would get or fix one since they use it so little. I do not think it is a fuel pump problem(?) as I can push the accelerator pedal and it always takes off. I wonder if it is the MAP sensor.

I will try to find another dealer to install a co-pilot.

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

If it does it all the time all they need to do is connect a scan tool and read the sensor values to see what is going on. And yes most scanners will also record data as a co-pilot but no one is going to let you keep it connected to your car until the problem occurs because that tool is used every day by the technicians

Reply to
maxpower