97 T+C squeal

Got a van the wife wants to buy, she likes it a lot
97 T+C LXi, leather, dual power seats, traction control etc.
Its got a squeal that apears to be comming from the alternator/PS pump
area at near idle she says. I've not had a chance to drive it etc yet, but i had a similar sound from an old 89 golf a few years back, and the alternator had gone bad. Is it, as my suspicions suggest, a bad alternator, and if so, how much and how easy is it to do ourselves, or should we just walk away (or see if the dealer will do it)

It could be a belt problem
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:23:35 -0500, "maxpower"

in what way?
I've been out in it, oddly its not squealing when its cold, but is when hot. and it is the back side of the engine (the 3.8)
Seems to be very little deflection in the belt (but its hard to do a fully scientific check in the twilight. When the engine is warm (and thus the engine bay) it squeals, but onyl below about 1500rpm.
Either way, thanks for the response Glenn, always nice to have a pro respond

If the belt tensioner is worn it will cause the belt to ride on the edge of the power steering pump pulley and cause a squeal, take a spray bottle and spray the belt with water to see if the noise comes and goes or just gets louder, if so the belt is out of alignment. When the engine is not running pull up on the belt to see if the tensioner go backs into postition or if it is locked up and wont budge at all

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:37:25 -0500, "maxpower"

Will do - you are a STAR!

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:37:25 -0500, "maxpower"

Had a good look at it today, Its vibrating a lot at idle, looks like the vibration of the engine is making it slip slightly. When its above 1200-1500 rpm it runs silky smooth and doesn't slip.
Needs a little tune, should eliminate the vibration, yes? Anyway, we got the van, was a lot cheaper than anything else we were looking at, except a 98 V70, (which had the dodgy engine, but the 3rd row)
over 250 mils today, combination of US highways, interstates, and heavy traffic, shopping in atlanta, carrying 7 people, and all our shopping, still returned 22mpg. So, we're pretyt pleased with it. batteris holding up fine, since i avoid idling (having spent what feels like most my life in London rush-hour traffic, I know better than to ahve it idle too long)
Thankls again for your help though glenn.