98 Crand Caravan Gauges don't work when car is stared

None of the gauges (Temp,Speedometer,Gas,Tackometer,shift indicator,and comunication lights) don't always come on when car is started. Sometimes they will come on when driving the car. Had the ignition switch changed, fixed it for a while but it started doing it again.

Reply to
trask

Hmm why not take it back to whomever fixed it to have them fix it right?

Reply to
maxpower

This is caused by the ECU ( computer ) and can cost $400.00 for new and $50.00 used. If the ground wire is not broken or lose causing the dash to go out then it is the ECU.

Here is how to tell, disconnect the battery for 30 sec. reconnect the battery. If lights come on for a while the ECU is the passable problem. Try this three or four times without driveling the van.

If the dash lights never come on at all after doing this there is a bad ground to the dash or engine block or fuse block.

Reply to
none

The everything worked over the weekend then stopped, came on for a couple of sections this morning and went out. didn't touch anything. in talking with other people they asy it's the "Shotgun" plug where is that?

Reply to
trask

I have a '99 caravan and it just happened to me. It's very fustration to have no lights or gauges.

Reply to
Bailey75

fustration

I'm seeing the same problem with our '98 Grand Voyager....the only difference is the "Service Engine Soon" and "ABS" graphics are lit, and the heater/vent/defroster selector switch has no resistance to it when you move it from position to position.

This problem had intermittently occured a few months ago, and now last night and this morning it has consistently happened again.

Where is the ground wire located to check for loose or broken connnection??

Much thanks to all who have posted this info.

Reply to
patfcee

I think I found the problem you have to get to the connector behind the display and clean the contacts I used electrical contact cleaner and havn't had the problem since. you have to remove the front panels to get to the display and pull it out to get to the connector.

Reply to
trask