98 Dodge Caravan

I previously wrote on 10/16 about rust on each of the "lips" of the rear wheelwells (Note: the peculiar thing is that each side matches the other),
as follows.
I have rust on each of the "lips" to the rear wheelwell. An ex-chrysler bodytech advised, that there is a sponge in that area, that absorbs moisture causing this problem. Has anyone had such a defect and how did they resolve with Chrysler? Thanks for your help. Pete
Please note that I had the situation looked at and documented by Chrysler after almost 5 YEARS and RUSTCHECKING each year. They more or less said what Wrench007 said in a reply to my post. The ex-chrysler body repair person advised that there is a sponge or sponge-like material in the area, which holds moisture. Wrench 007 says that he does not know of any any such materials used in mfging cars. However, the repair person even advised that before using any welding in the area, he would have to take extreme caution against the sponge-like material in that area catching fire.
Now let's hear from some Chrysler owners who have had a similar problem. The repair person saw lots, so let's hear from owners or people who have seen this problem over and over like the ex-Chrysler bodyman.
i have a 99 Grand Caravan and no rust as of yet...... But nonetheless I am still curious.

Pete, I had replied to this post before and I have owned some and worked on many caravans, what I think you stated before was a sponge, but now when you added the sponge-like material words I know what you are talking about. This is a Dense Rubber Material that is used for what I believe to be for sound and anti-vibration in the lower rear quarter panels. It does not really suck mositure like a sponge would, but it may hold a little dampness from drying quicker than normal.
Good luck getting anywhere with Chrysler on this one, you can try their customer service 800 number if you want to waste your time, uh I mean file a complaint. The real key to prevent rust is to clean the salt or muck off your vehicle when the temperature raises to about 40degrees F or is sitting in the sun in the winter.--J