'98 Dodge Caravan speed sensor problem

My van has been displaying the classic symptoms of a speed sensor problem - service engine light, funny shifting, speedometer dead. My mechanic has, with some difficulty, found the input and output speed sensors and replaced them and still no go. He showed me a different part, which he recieved as a speed sensor, and he has no idea where it goes. Is this the ABS speed sensor, and could it cause the same problem? He's going to crack open behind the dash next week to take a look at the instrument cluster, but will a fault there cause the same problem (the tranny not recieving the speed information?) Could the speed sensors he replaced be mixed up (the output in the input and vice versa?)

-JD

Reply to
JD

As an addendum:

He showed me the old input and output sensors, which looked just like this:

but I *believe* the other 'sensor', the one he had no idea about, was this:

Could the second part be the problem, and where is it located?

-JD

Reply to
JD