98 grand caravan

My 98 grand caravan (3.3L/flex fuel) is puzzling my mechanic and me. On a fairly regular basis the gauges stop working. but usually after a few days it will start working on its own.
It does throw some codes, no signal from the CCD bus, no signal from the TCM, no signal from the BCM. Here is what is and what is not working;
-Not Working- temperature gauge tachometer speedometer fuel gauge [on overhead console]; all info except outside temperature and compass. (the lights do come on but do not show info) odometer, shift indicator
-Working- odometer has been keeping track when it comes back on all the driver information above the gauges. all other electrical.
The engine and transmission seems to be running the same as usual.
any ideas would be welcome. thanks
| My 98 grand caravan (3.3L/flex fuel) is puzzling my mechanic and me. | On a fairly regular basis the gauges stop working. | but usually after a few days it will start working on its own. | It does throw some codes, no signal from the CCD bus, no signal from the | TCM, no signal from the BCM. | Here is what is and what is not working; | | -Not Working- | temperature gauge | tachometer | speedometer | fuel gauge | [on overhead console]; | all info except outside temperature and compass. (the lights do come on but | do not show info) | odometer, shift indicator | | -Working- | odometer has been keeping track when it comes back on | all the driver information above the gauges. | all other electrical. | | The engine and transmission seems to be running the same as usual. | | any ideas would be welcome. thanks
Sounds like you're losing 12 VDC to the pannel. My guess is there is a termal (clixon) breaker in the circuit that's opening from some reason.
Could be an intermittant ground as well.
(my best guess)
I have had the same problem with my 98 Grand Caravan. It is occasionally accompanied by not starting or starting and then dying when the key is released from the start position. Also the service engine light was on. I took it to Dodge dealer. They told me all they could find was loose battery cable and charged $160. They could not replicate the codes but said if the problem continues it would meed a PCM or BCM (sounds expensive). The problem is still present but I found that a sharp blow on top of the instrument panel with my hand corrects the problem. It seems that there might be a loose connection in the instrument panel. But I can't figure out how to remove it to see the circuit board.