98 ply voyager service engine light

the service engine soon light is coming on. it's a 98 voyager with a 3.0 engine. took it auto zone to let them diagnose it. they said it's getting to much air. could it be the oxygen sensor? it runs fine.just need the light to go off. thanks for any advice.

Reply to
lightweight

Yeah. The O2 sensor is probably shot. I would change it since the vehicle probably tends to run alittle rougher when it's cold. FYI, I believe ther are 2 sensors on this vehicle, one one the exhaust manifold and one on the catalytic converter.

Reply to
steve

To much air??? what did they tell you the fault code was?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

my wife was the one who took it to auto zone. if they told her she doesn't remember. isn't that a surprise.

Reply to
lightweight

too lean maybe?

Reply to
robs440

steve. how do i determine which of the two sensors is bad?

Reply to
lightweight

You are going to have to hook it up to the scan tool which will help you determine which is at fault. Since the O2 sensor acts through resistance and heat, with a test light you can see if power passes through the sensor when cold and hot. Steve

Reply to
steve

maxpower. the trouble code is p0171.

Reply to
lightweight

I delete all post after a certain time, I have no idea what this is referring too. can you reply with the original post.

Reply to
maxpower

Ok I went back to Talkabout and got the original post, That code is fuel system running lean, which doesn't mean it is getting to much air. (more then likely not getting enough fuel) It could be a number of things from a fuel pump not working properly, strainer stopped up in the tank module, MAP sensor out of calibration, coolant temp or TPS sensor out of calibration or a mechanical problem with the engine. If you cleared the code and it comes back it should be easy to locate by running certain tests on the engine. Starting with a fuel pressure test.