99 Intrepid Alternator Intermittent

99 Dodge Intrepid with the 2.7 engine. Several times I have resigned myself to replacing the alternator when all of a sudden it starts working again.

The problem started about 1 1/s weeks ago as a battery fault light on the dashboard. I keep a digital voltmeter across the cigarette lighter outlet to monitor whats going on as I drive.

Sometimes it will bnot charge the battery any for 30 to 45 minutes, making the battery voltage drop from 12.8 down to 11'ish or below. Then all os a sudden the alternator will start charging and you can see the voltage coming up to 13.4 to 14 volts for a while.

Have gone over the battery connections so far and working my way over towards the alternator.

I've heard that the voltage regulator is inside the ECU?

Any ideas? Doesn't seem like road bumps affect anything, just seems intermittent.

GK

Reply to
GK

I would have the battery load tested and the ground stud checked for tightness before you start putting generators on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I had a local AutoZone check the battery as okay, then they checked the alternator while it is in the car as not charging, although later it started charging by itself.

I went over some of the battery connections a few days ago. Waitng for a warm weekend day to continue.

GK

Reply to
GK

Check the MAXI cartridge fuse and make sure it has not broke contact. Alot of times you can flick the fuse and seea spark jumping from the broken contact. or swap out with another fuse such as the a/c compressor

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname