99' Intrepid occassional exhaust smoke

While waiting at red lights sometimes when I take off there will be a small ( sometimes big ) puff of black smoke, sometimes none. I have had a few different reasons &
prices quoted, and wonder if I should just trade it in or if it's worth keeping and repairing. It has 88,000 miles, and is otherwise in great condition. Any ideas about a reasonable cost on repair?
"Black" smoke would usually be an indication of too much fuel, or "rich", condition, and/or lack of sufficient air, such as on old carburetor engines when the choke wouldn't open.
Larry Behold Beware Believe
| While waiting at red lights sometimes when I take off there will be a small | ( sometimes big ) | puff of black smoke, sometimes none. I have had a few different reasons & | prices quoted, and wonder if I should just trade it in or if it's worth | keeping and repairing. It has 88,000 miles, and is otherwise in great | condition. | Any ideas about a reasonable cost on repair? |
Could be a sensor problem. Go to an AutoZone store and have them run the codes and see what comes up. It's a free service.
Bill '01 Intrepid RT '04 Intrepid Custom
just curious..............how's your air filter?