'99 Intrepid transmission problem

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the following happen to them. While I was driving the speedometer needle began going wildly from current speed(35mph at the time) to zero. Then needle went to zero and stayed
there. the tack was still working. Now the transmission will not up shift. I pull off the side of the road. the car idles fine. Goes into reverse OK and back to drive but will not upshift.
Prior to this happening I had no indication of problems. I had just driven about 70 miles at 70mph. The car has 120xxx miles on it.
Any ideas?

The output speed sensor is bad causing the speedo and transmission not to work, I would have both the input and output sensor replaced. The parts are about $60 about an hr labor
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Is that something I could do, or should it go to the shop to have done?
If you have to ask, take it to a shop. It really isn't hard, but if your not sure, pay for the hour labor. Also don't cheap out on the parts. For some reason the aftermarket in/output sensors suck. Go to the dealer and ask for 4800878 & 4800879.
Thanks for the great input. Car is back on the road and working fine.
And GUNNER that is generally a most acurate statement..but there are times, though few, when it is ok to ask. Just to make sure us shadetree guys don't get in over our head, before it is too late.

you can do it, if you can slide under the trans and reach between the exhaust pipe