A/C Test Cycle for 1999 Dodge?

Regarding the hop and dance routine mentioned for the Caravan... is there such a sequence for a Durango 5.9L vehicle?

Thx

Reply to
Bob Mariotti

No Just curious what year and what problem? My 2003 used Durango I purchased A/C is terrible, All the pressures are normal and I haven't been able to find any problem at all, I don't work on trucks at the dealer and was wondering if this is just the normal for this truck my temp at the front is about 60 on a hot day

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn;

FWIW - we've owned quite a number of Jeep GC's over the years all with climate control. They have all worked wonderfully. My wife wanted three rows of seats 'cause of the grandkids and the durango was one that offered those. However, in 1999 they didn't have climate control. Just plain old A/C.

The first year of ownership it worked very well even though adjustments were manual. Then for some reason the air mix started going afoul. When the temp control is turned to anything other than completely on its lowest setting, full HOT air comes out of the driver's floor vent and the dash vents have no heat mix at all. Its the same in the winter for the heat. Two different Dodge dealer service depts claim this is the way it is supposed to work (why did it work correctly for the first year or so).

Other than that, if you keep the A/C set on cold and the air source on recirc you can get some pretty cold air out of it. Evening it off is another story.

I know this was not much of an answer to your question but at least its something.

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

See if you can get your hands on a contact type pyrometer. Engine running, AC turned on, fan on second from the highest setting.

1) measure the inlet temperature of the condenser. 2) measure the outlet temperature of the condenser. 3) subtract the outlet temp from the inlet temp. This equals the temp drop you should be able to get across he evaporator.

If the condenser only has a delta T of 30 degrees, and you're only getting a 30 degree drop across the evaporator it's a good bet that the condenser isn't efficient enough. If the delta T across the condenser is 40-50 degrees and you're not getting the same drop across the evaporator, the problem is inside the HVAC case.

Dunno about the newer Durangos but I'm not real fond of the condenser in the older ones, tall and narrow makes me think they just don't transfer heat all that well.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Bob the dealer will be able to calibrate the system with the DRB, But I see no self diagnostics like the Mini Vans have

Reply to
maxpower